Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Hey, Pop-Pickers!

Just before I finally shake all the miserable dust of 2005 from my bunny slippers, I would like to recap on the beautiful music, books and cinema that have nourished my soul and kept me half-afloat throughout all the IVF nightmares and assorted crises of 2005.

Kate Bush

Arcade Fire

Kaiser Chiefs

Magic Numbers

Rufus Wainwright

Batman Begins

Sin City

Crash

Harry Potter

Melinda and Melinda

No Direction Home

The Kite Runner

The Lincoln Lawyer

Sophie's Bakery for the Broken-hearted or Good Grief (in the US)

Never Let Me Go

Eleanor Rigby A Novel

A Wedding in December

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Stories We Could Tell

Thank you, thank you as I do not know what I would do without your beautiful words and music. Of course, I continue also to hang onto all the old faves too. I salute you Morrissey, Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison, Bette Davis, Gene Kelly, Humphrey Bogart and too many more to mention!

May 2006 bring me more treasures and treats.

10 Comments:

At 4:41 PM, Blogger zhl said...

Thanks for the recap. You've got several items that helped me as well so I'm now off to check out the others.

I particularly loved Good Grief. There's a description in there about how you do everything you know to do to help with your grief and nothing helps. I had just written something in my blog that was so similar. That book was very cathartic.

Here's hoping we'll have a new crop of music, books, and movies in a slightly different vein. But I won't give up the Kaiser Chiefs.

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger zarqa said...

I liked Arcade Fire this year too. Yes, words and music can be salvations can't they. Hoping you acquire more of both and much more this new year.

 
At 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crash was such an excellent movie - I think J and I sat there in silence for about 15 minutes before we could start talking about it.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Great selection. I've found comfort in many of them. There are some that I haven't checked out but will definitely do so. Wishing you the best this new year.

 
At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah ... No Direction Home was a great read. So was Harry Potter. And Leonard Cohen, well, you already know how I feel about him.

:-)

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Yes indeed - may 2006 bring us heaps more of treasures and treats. And a big hooray for the holidays being OVER!

 
At 10:30 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Ooh, I also forgot "House of Flying Daggers". How could I??? Such a beautiful, lyrical film with amazing cinematography. And martial arts too! It is up at the top of the film list.

 
At 11:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOh I haven't yet read j Strange and Norrell. Must dig it out of the pile.

You should try 'old filth' by Jane Gardam. One of my best books of last year. Really wonderful.

 
At 12:29 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Yes, House of Flying Daggers was a great one. I need to buy the Aracde Fire. Can't believe I don't have it yet. I also heart the new Franz Ferdinand.

 
At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yes, loved Strange and Norrell- would have added to my top three except I think I wrote a whole post about the book so felt redundant.

Ruuuuuuufus. We love Rufus Wainwright, oh yes oh yes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home