Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Friday, June 02, 2006

Days of Non-alcoholic Wine and Roses

Why, oh, why did both projects that have been consuming my life (the DE cycle and the kitchen renovation) come to fruition at the very same time???

My house is in chaos. There is stuff from the kitchen everywhere. I had to put my foot down to maintain the sanctuary-like atmosphere of our bedroom against the tide of mismatched crockery, 70s tupperware, umpteen electrical gadgets which were used once and never saw the light of day again (ice crusher, anyone?). The boxes of stuff which I trip over constantly are driving me mad.

Thankfully the end is in sight. The kitchen fitter has almost finished the cabinetry. This weekend the electrician and the plumber will finish off their ends. Tiling should commence next week. Phew! No wonder I put off doing this until now.

Of course, anytime I am doing the dying swan routine cos I am feeling a bit like a lie-down, someone needs a decision made on where the handles are going, where do you want these sockets, what's your opinion on mitres for the worktops....aaaargh! Just leave me be. But of course, someone has to make these decisions and Mr P is not there so that only leaves little old me.

In case you are wondering, is she not back at work yet? No, I am still off but now on annual leave for 3 weeks. I have been saving it up!! I will have forgotten what work is like by the time I get back there.

According to my bridesmaid, the 9th wedding anniversary symbol is pottery, not peestick plastic. I ate a lovely meal off some pottery in celebration on Tuesday night.

I peed on a digital test that day too and got the legend "Pregnant". I am still not quite taking it all in though. It does not seem real.

The symptoms I have are mild and could still be attributed to the hormones I am taking. The vicious cramping this week though was a bit disconcerting. If I had not used all those tests, I am sure I would be none the wiser. I always thought that I would know on some deep cellular level that I was pregnant. Not that I ever really thought it was going to happen. Nope.

PS those digital tests are a swizz. The battery only lasted 24 hours and you are then left with a blank test. How cheap is that???

18 Comments:

At 5:25 PM, Blogger Country Chick said...

Hey - I could send you some spare batteries from a digital OPK if you like!
Sadly I read ALL the information on these things (trying to find the loophole) and discovered that you have to remove and dispose of the batteries at a suitable battery recycling plant (or something).
Wow - 3 weeks leave now. Enjoy.

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

I know what you mean about those digital tests. Such a satisfying result, but so short lived. That's why the old kind of peestick is the best.

Glad to hear it is chaos chez toi. It will all be worth it when you have that fabbo kitchen to come home to. Once you remember where you used to work, of course.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This no beta situation is killing me - can you go to your regular doctor and get a blood test? Take a picture of the digital - what's a better keepsake than a peestick that actually "says" pregnant?

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Donna said...

I missed your previous post -- now I REALLY want to go to Amsterdam, just so I can stay in Room #5. Anyway, having something other than peeing on plastic is probably a good thing, but I'm with you on the clutter, I can't stand it.

 
At 9:45 PM, Blogger beagle said...

A kitchen reno is a real test of sanity . . . but the reward will be all worth it!

Glad you're feeling well otherwise.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Well the kitchen sounds like the perfect distraction between sticks. ;-)

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger soralis said...

Good luck with the Kitchen renos, Chaos is not fun especially in the kitchen.

Good luck and take care

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Renovations suck, so hang in there. It will all be worth it when you have your swish new dream kitchen.

As for the symptoms, what a mindf**k that is. The cramping and crazy AF feelings in the back. My clinic is pretty sparce on the blood tests. I was supposed to wait until today, but had to go Wednesday because of a nasty scare when we thought that it was all over. My next bloodtest isn't until next Friday!! Why do they make us wait that long. Crazy. Good luck and my fingers are crossed for a super high number!!

 
At 4:54 AM, Blogger t said...

oh, I'm so excited to hear about your digital reading on the hpt!!! dare I congratulate you? are we allowed? so exciting!!!!!!

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Keep peeing, and may it stay positive! Glad to see that y things are progressing in your favor!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger linda said...

More positive POAS's? Most excellent!!!! I just wish you'd break your doc's arm and get them to give you a proper beta. Let the doc know that your readers are insisting! (Not that it'll do much, but what the heck...worth the try?)

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Anyc chance you could replace the battery in that stick. You know, for posterity. :p

Yay for a new kitchen! It must be all the rage this season since my mom has been renovating hers, too. Can't wait to see pics of the finished product!

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

Well, the kitchen should make the time fly by! Once all of the strangers are out of your house, it will be nice to rest in peace!

Congrats on the latest test!! I can't wait for the update!

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

I think they underestimate the obsessive test watching that IF girls undergo. Don't they know you'll want to wear your test stick as a talisman around your neck on a piece of string?

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it how shocked the more technically advanced IF community are at our Scottish state-of-the-ark technology.

I'm so pleased for you.

Alchemilla

 
At 3:07 PM, Blogger avonlea said...

I expect kitchen renovations are the perfect pre-B (I think we're still in the initial stage here) preparation for learning to live with the chaos that will become your life with B. Your renovation is going along at a quicker pace than my own, and I'm glad for that.

I continue to be so happy for you!

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pamplemousse, I'm so sorry I couldn't send you my husband for some real tschurmen händivurk. But it sounds as if work is progressing well nonetheless.

I was picturing you eating a lovely anniversary meal off some peestick plastic.

Call me weird. Everyone does.

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

I'm a bit behind with my blog reading so sorry I haven't said "way to go" sooner. Best wishes for everything.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home