Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Happy Anniversary to My Sweetie

It is our 9th wedding anniversary today. I must look it up to see whether this is the plastic peestick anniversary. Yes, I have been continuing with them. The novelty has not worn off yet.

Normally on our anniversary, we are on holiday.

Last year we were in our fave hotel in Amsterdam.

Two years ago, it was Fleet Week and Memorial Day in NYC.

Three years ago, it was Paris, the City of Light and I refused to climb up the Eiffel tower.

This year I have plastic peesticks and a demolished kitchen and I could not be happier.

I like to have a bit of an occasion on our anniversary to commemorate our long journey together.

We met in high school in 1977, I was 11 and you were 13. We bonded over a shared love of New Wave music and I laughed at your hair.

We stayed close friends even whilst I fell in love with another, got engaged at 20 and then jilted him aged 21, on the precipice of wedding plans.

You were always there, my faithful rock, even when I turned away from you into other men's arms.

14 years ago in 1992, I returned from living in England and we rekindled our closeness in a winter of Arctic temperatures and I realised I was falling in love with you. You told me that you had always loved me but you were waiting for me to catch up and realise it. I finally did.

It took us another 5 years to reach the altar as I was ideologically opposed to the shackles of marriage and I did not want to relinquish my independence and do what is expected of all the other women in my narrow-minded small home town.

What I foolishly did not understand was that marriage with you would be like coming home. With a contented sigh. With a loving wink. With a long exhale.

Every time I go to the clinic on the train, I turn away from the sea and look up the hill towards the tiny church where I was christened in December 1965 and then married to you on that day in May 1997. As we pass by it, I wish upon its spire that I can always have you in my life and I am so thankful for every day.

Yes, we have our niggling arguments and petty squabbles but I feel blessed to have you in my life. You are my smile when I cannot and my laugh when I cannot and my anchor when I feel untethered.

29 years later, here we are and I still laugh at your hair and we still listen to 70s music on the iPod. I hope you have gotten a fraction of the happiness and joy out of this journey as I have, my darling.

32 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger Country Chick said...

I missed all the Saturday stuff, and was really worried checking on you today! Have just caught up and I am SO HAPPY for you. (Just sorry about Thalia's news).
Happy, happy, happy anniversary - what a lovely story.

 
At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary to both of you!!

 
At 1:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww, Pamplemousse, that was beautiful. Happy anniversary!

(Comment moderation? Are you getting grief from people? Lemme at' em!)

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Katie said...

PM-- That was beautiful. Happy anniversary!

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

In light of the recent news, I bet this year's anniversary is the best one yet. Congratulations!

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Nico said...

What a great tribute to your hubby. Happy anniversary!

 
At 2:44 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Happy Annviersary, P.! And many more to come.

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I hope it's a great one.

 
At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. That is too sweet. Isn't it amazing out of millions of people you feel like you found your one out of the crowd?

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger soralis said...

Congrats on your Anniversary! What a wonderful post.

Take care

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

LOL! My 9 year anniversary was last Wednesday!

Congratulations to you both!!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Wow! What a beautiful post to show your love for your sweatheart. It sounds like your marriage was meant to be! What a perfect anniversary present. Congratulations.

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Pamplemousse. What a sweet, sweet post to your beloved. Happy Anniversary, dear one. I'm so glad you have gotten the gift you so long desired (even if I can't believe I missed it over the long weekend!) What wonderful news!

 
At 5:12 PM, Blogger beagle said...

Wow, love like that is rare. You are both very lucky. Happy Anniversary!

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

AWWW!!!! Happy Anniversary!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

This is such a sweet post! Congratulations on your anniversary and on your positive pregnancy test! Here's hoping that the coming year with Mr. P is your best ever!!

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger MoMo said...

Happy Anniversary...I love this post! I hope you went out and celebrated!

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger linda said...

Happy Anniversary to you both! :-))

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Portlairge said...

You made me cry and they were sweet lovely tears. What a lovely story. How are the pee sticks coming along? I am so happy for you and I hope those lines are getting darker. Happy Anniversary to you and your beloved.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger katty said...

Very lucky. Very sweet.

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

Wow, you guys have really been through it all together, you make us look like real amateurs in our relationship! Congratulations on your anniversary. May this be the best year together, ever.

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

I have tears in my eyes and a smile in my heart for you and your husband. May you have a lifetime of happiness together!

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Happy happy happy happy anniversary!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

awwwwwwww! Happy Anniversary!

 
At 4:47 AM, Blogger avonlea said...

That brought tears to my eyes. I'm so happy that you have the wonderful Mr. P and now MacP on the way - it's so good to see some joy in the blogosphere - that's it's your joy brings me some too.

 
At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and have been riveted! Happy anniversary and what a wonderful way to celebrate it! Congratulations!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger moo said...

Happy Anniversary to the Ps! How wonderful that it has come together this way. xxoo moo

 
At 8:00 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

That's quite a story and a very touching post. Happy anniversary!

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post - it brought a smile to my face. Happy anniversary to you both!

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger tonya said...

Happy Anniversary to you, and wishing you many happy returns on the day! Also, I am very excited by your POAS news. Wishing you a very uneventful, boring, textbook 9+ months. :)

 
At 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ms. P. I wish you a happy anniversary. This is The Year of New Things for you and Mr. P. I know it will be wonderful.

 
At 3:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post and what a beautiful history you two have. Wishing you a happy belated anniversary!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home