Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Monday, May 08, 2006

Who Are You Calling Weird??? ***Retrieval Update****

Ages ago, loads of people tagged me about the 6 weird things.

Now call me deluded but I prefer not to think of them as weird things. More like my foibles that make me the unique and individual woman that I am now today.

My brain is hormone splatter so bear with me but I think I can come up with a few foibles but I don't know if I can narrow it down to just 6, hehe.

1. The sleepwalking thing, of which we have already had too many examples to bore you with now.

2. I still suck my thumb but only when I am super-stressed or over-tired. I registered with my current dentist 13 years ago and the first thing he said to me was "You suck your thumb, don't you?". Eeek. I still cringe at every check-up.

3. I cannot sleep if my pillows are not to my exact specification. Never stay at the Holiday Inn Express at Glasgow Airport if you have the same pillow obsession as I do! I still shudder at the smell they emitted. It was also flat as a gnats arse and Mr P refused, in the name of marital harmony, to surrender his to me. The selfishness of himself. The reception desk stated that they had no spares but could supply a pillowcase stuffed with towels as a substitute. Well, the air was blue. I had my revenge though as Mr P was very tired out on that flight to Toronto the next day. Ha!

Enogh already of the bed/sleep related things I am obsessed with.

4. I cannot drink mineral water out of plastic bottles. Only glass. This latest foible has been confirmed by the illustrious Jo at the Leery Polyp. I rest my case.

5. I only drink organic skimmed milk. This goes for in the porridge, cups of tea, everything. Ditto with the hormones disruption from #4.

6. I cannot bear to walk around in my bare feet, even at home. I always have to wear my bunny slippers. The thought of carpets in hotel rooms just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

There, now you can see just how completely normal I really am. And Mr P deserves a medal or a knighthood for putting up with me when the above do not take place. Banshees have nothing on me when I am not happy. Though I do prefer the word diva.

Did someone say high-maintenance??

*************************UPDATE****************************

Retrieval for my donor will be Thursday morning. Still radio silence on follicles so don't ask me!!

I am to sniff my last Synarel tomorrow night and increase to 8mg of Progynova and 400mg progesterone suppositories on Wednesday morning. My donor will trigger at 10pm tomorrow night.

I can't stop crying now.

27 Comments:

At 3:13 PM, Blogger DD said...

Shall we assume that the thumb-sucking is in full force lately? That, my dear, is hysterical. And yes, quite weird.

However, I hear you on the hotel floors. I bring my cheapie plastic flipflops everytime we travel. They can be washed up and none of the funk ever comes home with me. Blech!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger DD said...

How could you not cry? Excitement, hope, trepidation have all come knocking.

I'm sending the virtual hug and virtual dry shoulder to you from here in the States.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

Wow. The bare feet thing is sad. I love the feeling of bare feet on grass, wooden floors, carpets etc. At university I even used to walk around the town in bare feet. I wouldn't do it any more, I hasten to add. Are you very ticklish on your feet, too?

 
At 6:26 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I'm with you on the no bare feet thing and I think all the rest are fairly normal as well. I guess that says something about me...

Oh it's getting so close! I'd never stop crying if I was in your place. It's exciting and scary and wonderful and I'm hoping for the very best!

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

that's super about the retrieval!! how exciting! i will be checking back on you. :)

 
At 7:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool - you're weirder than me - he he - freak! I love bare feet, but not on hotel carpet - EW.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Bare feet at home is OK, but anywhere else -- noooooo. You are so close!

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger zarqa said...

Oh, the Hope can get us quite emotional, can't it. The best of luck with the retrieval and all that comes after.:)

 
At 10:07 PM, Blogger Summer said...

I've been lurking on your site for awhile, never posted. But I justed wanted to wish you (and your donor) luck on the retrieval!

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Wow! Good luck to your donor on Thurs! It's about damn time, eh?

And no bare feet? You can barely keep shoes ON me. Of course that's probably why they look horrid.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I can't wait to hear the news about the retrieval!

I'm pretty picky about my pillows, too...

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited that you're getting so close. Can't wait to hear the post ER update.

 
At 12:18 AM, Blogger moo said...

Hey P, I'm so excited about the ER. I'm hanging on your every word. Keep writing and put your bunny slippers up and relax. xx Moo

 
At 1:16 AM, Blogger Sparkle said...

That's so exciting about the retrieval, it's so cruel that you won't tell how many ... can't wait to hear how it goes.

Pillows are big with me - but opposite, I need them soft and flat - like a cloud I told Mr. S. Also, I always have to turn them during the night - so I'm sleeping on the cold side!

 
At 1:44 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

I'm sending you loads of baby dust! (runs and ducks)

 
At 3:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck honey!

 
At 3:28 AM, Blogger JennaM said...

I've got it all crossed for Thursday!!

I have a feet thing, too--if they can't be naked, I have to change my socks 3x a day...

Bestest luck, dearie!

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger MC said...

Bare feet in hotel rooms grosses me out as well. I find it hard to walk around in bare feet on carpet as I have this thing about it being germy.

 
At 8:46 AM, Blogger ankaisa said...

I'm really hoping that there are a lot of follies to be retrieved!

 
At 1:52 PM, Blogger beagle said...

I love to be barefoot, in general, but I am with you on the hotel carper thing. And hotel comforters/quilts! Yikes! That is the first thing I rip off the bed and stuff in a corner.

Great news on trigger, retrieval, etc. Exciting, scary, full of hope . . . crying very understandable.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Nico said...

Yay! Retrieval is almost here!!! I really really really hope that it goes well, followed by excellent fertilization and division.

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Got you on the pillow thing. I simply cannot sleep without a proper pillow and have been known to travel with mine.

Glad to you hear you are getting closer to lift-off... sending you loads of luck and I really hope this is it for you.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Wishing your donor a fruitful retrieval and an excellent fertilization report. It's so close now!

And about your thumbsucking, I can relate. I basically stopped when I was like, 12, but everynow and then, when I'm feeling particularly weepy I give it a whirl again to see if it'll soothe me.

 
At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's so funny how many people have sleep-related idiosyncrasies! That really cuts to the heart of what gives us comfort, I guess. I so hear you on the pillow thing. I will boycott that particular hotel, believe you me.

And as for the trigger: OMG! So close! Shoveling truckloads of luck and hope your way, my dear.

 
At 8:07 PM, Blogger zhl said...

So excited for you! Hope the retrieval goes great, and you get plenty of eggs to choose from.

 
At 8:29 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I think I'm crying now!! I am not asking a thing about follicles. But I am sending you lots of love.

 
At 1:20 AM, Blogger linda said...

Gosh it's happening so fast now, isn't it? I'll be sending you positive thoughts!

Thanks for posting the link about plastics usage...just more impetus for me to throw out all of my plasticware, and in a hurry!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home