Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Sunday, July 03, 2005

People have the power

Edinburgh 2nd July 2005

I had the choice of watching the lamest set of pop acts known to man on Live8 on the teevee, watching the Ladies Final at Wimbledon on the teevee or joining around 225,000 people dressed in white, walking for hours in a circular route around Edinburgh to Make Poverty History.

I voted with my feet.

I did it for the Miners Strike, the Poll Tax and both Iraq wars and it only seemed fitting that I add my voice to Saturday's protest. It was an honour and a privilege to be able to do so. If the G8 leaders had their way, no-one would be allowed to make any protest.

On Wednesday, the leaders of the G8 arrive in Gleneagles, about 50 miles from here. I reckon it is just a golfing holiday and all this talk about world finances and economic infrastructures is just a smokescreen for a deluxe break. Why else is it always some ultra-expensive resort like Sea Island last year? Why else do the wives come? They are being ferried round the country to Glamis Castle and Harvey Nichols and lunch with the Stagecoach wifie at her castle. So much for making poverty history. Those spoilt, pampered women must think we all live in castles!

Perth and Kinross Council have magnanimously decided that protesters can assemble 500 metres from Gleneagles Hotel and exercise their democratic right to protest. What a shame that I will be working to pay my taxes which pay for the policemen who will be on duty and the millions for security and Tony Blair's shiny new suit. In my heart and mind, I am there with a loudhailer. What a shame these leaders never really come face to face with real people.

3 Comments:

At 11:23 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

Good on you for doing the march. I just sat and bitched about the concert whilst watching it on TV. I was particularly offended by Madonna's performance. She actually can't sing...can she?

 
At 1:55 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Since I cant be there either I decided to upload my photo at the Live 8 website to have my face on the gallery in Edinburgh, but the website has crashed. So much for that idea.

I'm with you on the golfing junket theory though. Otherwise, why not just stay at Butlins?

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Wow, that's great. I really wish I could have been there. I bet it was amazing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home