Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Save The Cheerleader, Save The World

Ho hum. Nothing much happens round here that is very exciting any more. Why do you come here????

Anyhoo, as you can tell by the title, Heroes has finally landed here and I am utterly obsessed after the first double episode-showing. Quel comic geekoid I am.

I have been assiduously avoiding the spoilers about the plot in trashy US tabloids and on E News but that is par for the course with all the TV I watch. British TV is alright if you like hospital potboiler drama but I am afraid that it does not cut it for me. As for the soaps, urggh. I have enough doom and gloom* in my life without wasting my brain cells on that.

No. You know me. It is solid USA all the way for me. Well, keep your dirty politics and warmongering but as long as I can have my shows, I will tolerate you mis-spelling people ;)

The Wire (still watching Series 3 on DVD in order to savour the McNulty and Stringer experience)
ER
CSI (strictly Vegas only, baby)
Heroes
Rescue Me
Jericho (Skeet Ulrich, yum yum),
Intelligence (strictly Canadian but who's counting),
Lost (but if it does not pick up the plot soon, it is going to be evicted off my roster)
and Curb Your Enthusiasm.

It's all good.

I do have to say unequivocally, I do not like Ugly Betty. Maybe it is because I am not very good-looking so it is a sore point for me. Or maybe because I do not find it at all subversive or ground-breaking in its portrayal of multi-culturalism and sexuality. It might be so in Idaho or Kansas but not over here in the UK. I think mainly I just do not think it is very funny.

Not much else action-wise really. I did do some gardening last weekend but I am not sure that qualifies as "action", even in my nanoverse.

*Actually, no gloom at all thanks to the lovely green pills. In fact, it dawned on me this week that I have not had any sleepwalking episodes since I started them. I do now sleep like a log so that is a good side-effect to chalk up for me. Still waiting for 50lbs to drop off and my legs to grow a foot longer and win the lottery but heck, a girl has to dream about something, right?

I know. Lets pretend to be interactive and you ask me questions about me that you want to know and I will tell you the answers...maybe.

12 Comments:

At 6:28 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

How did I miss the Heroes premiere? Hmm? What damn channel has done that to me?

We have 6 episodes of lost on the sky plus. It may have gone the way of desparate housewives for us. But ER I will be faithful to forever, or so it seems.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Heroes just made it to the continent as well. It's interesting.

There are some good British shows too.
Hotel Babylon, Life on Mars, Waking the Dead, Judge John Deed, Life Begins, ...


How are your roses doing? Have you joined the horticulturist blogging community? Or is there no such thing?

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger Neva said...

How about "House" with one of your British actors Hugh Laurie(love him to pieces)? or "Monk"? Too funny ...I gave up on "Lost" LOOONNNG ago. yech. Different strokes for different foks ,though!

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger beagle said...

I can't stand Ugly Betty either. I've tried watching it to see what I am missing but so far the answer is nothing. I love CSI Las Vegas and GA. I have never watched Lost. Maybe I'll do a DVD fest to see what all the fuss is about.

My question: What are your top three fav tunes on your iPod?

Oh, and so glad you made it over to my new crib, err, cradle . . . errr . . . you know. SO sorry you arrived to dreary news. I miss my little buddy.

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Someone already said "House" but man I love that show. It is really one of my favs now.

British shows to me are AbFab and well That MI5 guy was sooooo hot (the one with the acne who was in pride and prejudice)

Ok---good luck with Heroes it is a great show...

 
At 1:30 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Oooh, a post! Lovely!!

I totally think that gardening counts as excitement! I am JEALOUS. In flipping OHIO it is still WAY too cold to start gardening, dangit! It's just warm enough to TAUNT me.

So what are you planting? How is your rose garden going? How warm is it?

Is that enough questions?

 
At 1:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOH OOH OOH!! I'm so glad you finally have Heroes. It's so freaking awesome. I missed out on it the first season and had to do a hardcore catchup online. I wish it wasn't so early in the series for you guys, 'cause now I can't discuss it with you. But yay! Welcome to the Hero-obsession!

 
At 3:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heroes is the best!! I almost wish I could go back in time and start over from the beginning... (right now the show is on a mini-hiatus until the end of April and I am having withdrawal issues.) Do you have Grey's Anatomy yet? Despite some medical inaccuracies I'm addicted to that one, too.

 
At 7:36 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Also...just to let you know, I'm going invite-only on The Problem With Hope soon and if you're interested, I'll add you if you email me your addy.

preppy_24@hotmail.com

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger zarqa said...

ITA on Ugly Betty. Not funny.

Lost is an exercise in frustration even in the most recent episodes in the US. I'd leave while I still can if I were you. It's too late for us, we have to keep watching the manipulative swill till it reaches a conclusion or gets cancelled, whichever comes first. Sawyer's one-liners and nicknames for everyone are it's only saving grace.

Grey's anatomy is equally swill-like but luckily I never got hooked on that crap. The most shameful thing that everyone seems to love these days.

I'd suggest you try Battlestar Galactica. From the start. You don't have to be a scifi head to appreciate it. I don't usually watch scifi, but this shows goes beyond scifi on so many levels. The best that American TV has to offer these days, IMO. Heroes is a close second. The difference being that Heroes has the sheer entertainment value and Battlestar Galactica has killer subtext and will challenge you with every episode.

We also just started the first season of Rome on DVD. Pretty darn good. And that Englishman who plays Marc Antony. WHAT a hottie!

 
At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

loved reading your blog.. you are an amazing writer, and i almost split a gut laughing at the following quote:
"
Next was the obligatory visit to the local play centre. You know, pay the money at the door, slump at the cafe with a bacon roll and wave to the little darlings as they plummet with homicidal glee down the slides, fireman's pole, nets and various rope swings."
i can almost hear your lovely scottish burrrrrrrrrr.

*an admirer in canada!

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger MsPrufrock said...

I read this post on Bloglines awhile ago and forgot to come and comment.

You know I love some US TV, and we are also addicted to Heroes now. The Wire Season 4 is fabulous, and we're annoyed each week that we're not watching the DVDs so we can skip ahead. God I love that show. Who is your favourite character?

We are still with Lost, because even though it has dragged on I need some resolutions. Curb is always on standby with us via DVD, because, well, Larry David rocks!

I forget, are you an Arrested Development fan?

Ok, I'll shut up now. I'm such a telly addict.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home