Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Thursday, July 20, 2006

We Built This City on Rock and Roll

The third stage of defoliation occured yesterday. After the triumphant success of overpowering the monobrow and ejecting the hamster from my lip, yesterday was the cut and colour of my so-called crowning glory. Begone grey crone, hello dolly!

Well, not quite a dolly but coiffed, dyed and flat-ironed within an inch of my life. I felt pretty until the sea haar rolled in last night on our nightly walk and totally frizzed me up. It was worth it to feel bonny for a few hours.

Yes, I did say nightly walk. My recent choc ice and sultana scone consumption has meant that drastic action had to be taken. But no-one warned me that after the meth shot, I would feel weak as a baby for weeks afterward. Even just last week, I tried to bounce on the mini-trampoline and had to cry uncle after a couple of minutes as I was pooped with rubbery legs.

What happened to my stamina? Disappeared, laughing with my hopes for a successful pregnancy. Much like any will to get on the fricking trampoline in the first place.

So...last week, seized by a fervour to recover my thighs, I announced to Mr P that we would walk every night. We have no discernible excuse, other than the death ray emitted by the TV that pins me in front of NYPD Blue and King of the Hill. Also I live in the sticks. We just have to fall out of the door in either direction and we have a ready-made walking circuit of 1.8 miles to torture my calves with. I used to do this circuit at a fast clip in 20-25 minutes.

First time out, I had to keep stopping to ooh and ahh over the new baby cows, the Shetland pony, a patch of nettles, the stone on the road in an interesting shape and any other distraction to catch my breath and hitch up my trousers with a very red face. I kept shouting at Mr P to slow down as I had to PLOD!!!! It took us 50 minutes the first time and I could have watered the Gobi desert with my ladylike glowing.

A week later, we are down to 30 minutes per walk and I still have to occasionally pause for a quick calf cramp and a sniff of a rosebush but things are getting better. I am not shouting at Mr P. Well, hardly at all as sometimes I still don't have enough breath.

Next stop...back on the trampoline.

25 Comments:

At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad the hamster has disappeared from your lip...and I'm glad you're getting your life together and walking and enjoying the sites and getting healthy in the process. I need you to motivate me. I'm in the I-wanna-shove-cheesecake-down-my-throat-and-sit-on-the-couch phase.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger Nico said...

Glad the defoliation has proceeded well. Your walk sounds great - both physically and mentally.

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger soralis said...

I hope you don't miss your hamster too much! :)

Enjoy your walks and Take care

 
At 3:09 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Hmmm.. Sounds like a lovely idea, now why is it that I don't walk every evening. Hmmm... no good reason. I don't even really enjoy tv (gasp) but I watch every night anway because it allows me to be horizontal and lazy. Must get over that.

Keep up the good work.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Kris said...

Your walking description cracked me up. And I admire you for escaping the TV death ray. We set up the Bowflex and exercise bike in front of the TV. It's very hard for me to find an excuse not to exersize when I don't have to drive anywhere, leave the air conditioning, or give up Sex in the City reruns.

 
At 3:40 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I'm sorry.. that would be exercise, not exersize.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Going from 50 minutes down to 30 minutes is pretty damn good, I'd say. Especially with all the stops and such. I think it is great that you are taking time to stop and smell the roses (or in your case, to look at baby cows and ponies). It's good for the soul. Plus, a little defoliation goes a long way too...

 
At 4:36 PM, Blogger DD said...

I hear monobrows are quite the rage...or at least that's what I'm trying to convince myself.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

LOL over the monobrow.

I love my flat iron. Without it, my hair is a sight to behold. Really scary.

 
At 5:07 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

oh! I bet you still look "bonny" even with frizzies!
A nightly walk sounds wonderful.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger Chee Chee said...

I am glad you are doing well. The walk sounds lovely.

 
At 10:56 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

The TV death ray is one thing, then there's the internet tractor beam. It's hopeless!

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

Baby cows! I might walk every night too if I could see something as cute as baby cows!

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

Ah the benefits of living in the country. Don't tell them all or the country will become all overpopulated. Or maybe not where you live. Your walk sounds lovely, and the speeding up is really impressive. I've got to do something similar, situation is desparate.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger Linda said...

Wow, good for you for getting back to jogging and walking. I've never started but I always admire fit people who do that sort of thing. And hooray for feeling bonny for a while! So long, hampster!

 
At 4:58 PM, Blogger katty said...

It sounds so beautiful. How lovely to have all that near your home.

 
At 5:01 PM, Blogger katty said...

I meant the cows and rose smell and shetland pony...

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Back on the trampoline indeed! Good job and sweetly on the bonny locks.

 
At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pamplemousse, good for you! Well done. I had to smile thoroughout your post, but particularly at your description of your freshly ironed hair being ruined by the air outside. I've heard that "now don't go outside" once too often from hairdressers. Now I just boycott them, so there!

Your exercise plan sounds great. Good progress!

 
At 9:37 PM, Blogger beagle said...

You are one tough cookie! I'm impressed.

Also glad you treated yourself to the few hour fancy-do. Mine never looks the same once the hairdresser's magic wears off. Such is the mystery of hair.

 
At 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy your walks, the scenery sounds divine. Your hair sounds like mine also, a little humidity and watch out!

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Picture!!! I wanna PICTURE!!!

 
At 2:30 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Yeah, hopping back on the excercise wagon is tough! I can't seem to even get to the 1 walk a night, which is also my idea of starting to get the thigh issue under control.

Good luck on the trampoline--

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Good for you! And I bet your hair looks luscious. I can't wait to walk with you guys! It sounds just wonderful.

 
At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome progress you've made with the walking. You must be feeling fantastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home