Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Sunday, February 20, 2005

Mamma mia!

I have just returned from a delightful day at my mother's house. Well, delightful in the sense that I do not know if that woman really produced me from her loins. Maybe I was left in a basket at her door because I do not know what planet she is on most of the time.

She refuses to understand or empathise about my IF. I try talking about the IVF and my fears about non-response and it failing. I might as well be talking to the man in the moon. She thinks it is a sure-fire thing and I know that can be blamed on the media and its portrayal of IVF but ye gods! I am right there in front of her telling her and she does not take it in. It is so disappointing as she is my mother. How do I get through to her? I expect more from her.

I think the whole problem is that I married late, always said I did not want children and was focussed on career goals. I think she cannot get her head round the change in direction. Sometimes I can't either but I try. She is on her 3rd marriage, had 4 children in 6 years before the age of 24 and looks at me like I am an alien. I guess I must be.

3 Comments:

At 9:10 PM, Blogger Julianna said...

Everyone in my family thought IVF was a sure fire thing, including me.

I hope your mother is right and it is a sure fire thing for you.

Then she can tell you "I told ya so".

Take care.

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Yup. Been there. And of course since so many celebrities spit out "healthy twins" at age 52, nobody ever thinks gee, maybe they had a GS and donor eggs! They just assume anyone can get PG with IVF. Forget trying to explain it. Save your breath.

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Mare said...

Ah, mothers. Or should I say GAAAAH, MOTHERS! I'm with Amy- I now pick other battles. It just gets too exhausting otherwise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home