Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Sunday, February 06, 2005

Gardening tips for February

Some suggestions on what to do this month:

Cut back vigorous climbers, such as ivy, climbing hydrangea and the larger honeysuckles, from roof-line and gutters. Leave a jagged, natural-looking profile
Cut down clumps of the little daisy Erigeron karvinskianus growing in walls and paving cracks for a fresh start in spring
If your permanent container plants such as box, bay, conifers and maples are getting out-of-scale and pot-bound, find some suitable places to plant them out in the ground now and replace them in the spring
Lift, divide and replant winter aconites and snowdrops when they have finished flowering but are still in leaf
Cut down the stems of autumn-fruiting raspberries to ground level
To force an early crop of fruits, cover a few strawberry plants with cloches
Prune indoor climbers, including plumbagos and passion flowers.

My commiserations if you can't see your soil for snow or the ground is so hard you can't even insert a fork! Work on those indoor plants instead. Have fun burning calories outside or in!

8 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger TK said...

Wah! I have snow on the ground and no indoor plants as my kitty likes to taste them. Can't wait for Spring here.

Enjoyed your iPod shuffle!

~Trish

 
At 3:39 AM, Blogger Julianna said...

I have a climbing (ferocious) jasmine plant. Should I cut it back too? I am in California and the soil has never known snow.

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Pretty much all the cool stuff you are doing is not applicable to me in Southern California. We have nice plants but we won't get the gorgeous profusion of spring flowers like you do. Like Julianna, though, my jasmine is going nuts and makes my yard smell great. Strawberry plants. You have given me an idea there, though.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Trish, the iPod shuffle was a really cool idea. I do like to go a bit "random" sometimes. We are having a really mild spring so far but it is supposed to go below zero this weekend so I will NOT be in the garden!

Climbing jasmines hmm? I have a winter-flowering jasmine but I suspect they are not the same thing! The main thing to consider is when plants flower as they usually do not like to be pruned and lose their lovely buds just beforehand. If I am not sure, I always wait until a plant is past its flowering season then give it a light-medium prune. I bet in SoCal though that flowering season is pretty non-stop hmm? I will consult some books and get back to you on that one. Step away from the secateurs, in the meantime!!

 
At 4:29 AM, Blogger DeadBug said...

Oooh! Will you be available for gardening answers during tomato season? Our seedlings are on order, due to arrive mid-March...

--Bugs

 
At 5:52 PM, Blogger Pamplemousse said...

Ooh yes my dear! I am all about the tomatoes. A girl needs her tomatoes :D

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger DeadBug said...

Yay! Can't wait for tomatoes, which ARE summer for me.

--Bugs

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Oh yes, me too on the tomato thing. This year it shall be cherry tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, brandywines and some other indeterminate heirlooms. Don't know what kind yet. What fun!

Lordy, I wonder if there is some link between infertility and growing tomatoes?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home