Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Uh-oh, phone rage. Please hold, caller!

A fertile myrtle friend of mine had not called me for a while. Relax, this is not going to be one of those "She's preggo" stories. No, it is worse than that. I call her and the phone call lasts for about an hour on my dime and all she goes on about is her 3 children (2, 10 and 15, all conceived one month off the Pill).

Now I am really deep in the closet about our infertility woes. There are only 2 of my friends that know we are going through this and this aforementioned friend is not one of them. The reason for the deep closet is that I cannot bear to hear cod sympathy expressed about me or Mr P. Right or wrong, that is the way it is. I can tell you all about my fave sexual position but I cannot bear anyone feeling sorry for me. Yeah, I'm a kook!

Anyhoo, this friend rants on for an hour about all her children-related woes and instead of me interrupting and ending the call, I give myself a cauliflower ear listening and occasionally interjecting with an "Uh-huh". The final straw came when she says "Bet you are glad you don't have any children". Well, that was it. I know she doesn't know (by my own choice) but does anyone with any sensitivity assume that people are childless by choice, particularly a woman in her late 30s? I know that I hesitate to ask any woman in her 30s if they are thinking of having kids as I detest someone saying it to me!Ugh, makes me think it is going to be a while before I call her again.

I have known her a long time (over 17 years) but sometimes I wonder why we keep it up. The older I get, the more aware I become of my true friends and the not-so -true friends. Sometimes they are just a habit you don't quit. I guess you need some friends for different functions hmm?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home