Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Monday, July 31, 2006

Checking In

8 weeks today, I will be on that KLM flight via Amsterdam!!! Whoooeeee! It is getting slowly closer. I am arranging my meds now from the International Pharmacy in London and almost all the accommodation is booked. I am still procrastinating about where to stay at the latter part of our trip. I want somewhere at the beach and I am a Libran so give me more than one option and I am screwed!!

Saturday's weigh-in was a good one. I lost 2.2 kgs last week which is 4.8 lbs. I know it will have been mostly water weight but it is a good start. Someone in the comments talked about eliminating food groups and that is what I do anyway. As a PCOS girl with Type 2 diabetes, I cut out all sugar and the only carbs allowed are good ones eg. wholegrain. Obviously when I have had bad news of a failed cycle or an ectopic or the end of the West Wing, my first instinct is to dive headfirst into the scones and the doughnuts and any kind of cake at all. Can you spell self-medication?

However, I can cut out all the sugar, eat right and still not lose weight without paying attention to exercising and calorie/portion control. So the walking is still continuing, mixed with a little rebounding and cycling. I even did some gardening yesterday. I definitely can feel my stamina returning. It is actually pretty scary how quickly I lost it.

The way I am keeping my calories down at the moment is by not having a full evening meal. At the moment, my favourite is to have home-made soup with a lot of pulses or beans for protein. A couple of organic oatcakes and we are all the road. It would not work for everybody but it works for me. However, I have not had to go out socially in the evening for dinner yet and this would not work for that. I must say that I have a healthy breakfast and lunch with all the food groups represented. I don't know if it is because when I was pregnant, I never felt like eating at night-time and it has just carried on? Who knows but I am not arguing with the scales.

I am not taking the Proz*c, as prescribed by my doctor. The black hole is not deep enough for that right now and although it says that some weight loss side effects may be experienced, I don't want to mess with that or start taking it so close to doing another donor egg cycle. I know that I am getting better slowly. The ectopic knocked me back hard but I know that I would not be interested in a haircut or new clothes or going out of the house if I was in the hole. I have been there before.

If the next cycle is a bust, I will probably be swigging it down in handfuls with the gin but let's hold thumbs* that I stay teetotal for the next year.

The South African expression for crossed fingers for good luck.

30 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Blogger Donna said...

Sounds like things are coming together for your trip. In my book there is no such thing as "water weight" -- weight loss is weight loss and there's no need to justify it. Go you!

 
At 7:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P... I am SO excited for this upcoming cycle. I'm crossing everything remotely crossable...
and some of it ain't pretty.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Katie said...

I promise I won't mention P*mms again. I hope you are teetotal too. Eight weeks is going to fly by. (Eight weeks!)

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Alli and Frankie said...

You are going to have such a great time!

I am with you on the small meal at the end of the day. That made all the difference for me.

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger zhl said...

As a fellow Libran, I think it has nothing to do with an inability to make a decision. It has to do with a desire to make the right choice. And I think that is something we Librans are very good at.

Can't wait to hear all about the trip.

 
At 9:23 PM, Blogger S said...

Yah, P!

I'm glad that everything is coming together, and bravo on the weight loss! I think that you actually didn't "lose" it, as I think that it migrated across the ocean and somehow grafted itself onto my thighs and ass. Hope you don't need it back anytime soon..... ;)

Crossing everything that the 8 weeks fly by and you'll be on your way.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Lot's of homemade soup has become part of my diet too. I do eat out more often then I realized, and while I enjoy it greatly, it doesn't help at all when trying to lose weight.


Only 8 more weeks until the big trip! I hope you have some time to see the sights.

 
At 11:21 PM, Blogger Krista said...

Congrats on the weight loss. I have PCOS too and I hear you about cutting out all sugar and refined carbs and still not losing weight. Makes your achievement even bigger! Here's hoping you have every reason to stay sober!

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Sue said...

Hi, Ms. P! I'm so excited for you. South Africa is right around the corner. I agree with Donna except for one thing - when you gain weight it's water, when you lose it, it's fat. :) Congrats on your progress.

 
At 12:01 PM, Blogger LiL Moo & Mee said...

Good luck with the up coming cycle and I agree weight its weight not water lol.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger Blondie said...

Hi P: I am so glad that you feel more motivated to get up and do something. Walking is the best way to start an exercise regime and in time you will see the benefits, especially if you focus on eating right. Get that evil word DIET out of your vocabulary and talk about your healthy eating plan. Believe me - having that positive mindset about food helps keep you on track :)

-- A sweet/savoury treat is okay once and a while - you don't need to deny yourself anything but just keep walking. :)

Very excited about your pending trip - have fun and keep us posted.

 
At 1:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well let's hear the options there Libra!

4.8 pounds is tremendous - good job. Personally I spell self-medication: l.i.c.o.r.i.c.e., but I will listen to my coach and back off.

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Kris said...

I am also a Libra with a decision making disorder.

Eight weeks! Holding both thumbs for you!

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger soralis said...

Congrats on the weight loss!

Enjoy your trip

Take care

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Shinny said...

Congrats on the weight loss! Skipping or cutting back on the evening meal is the one healthy way I am able to lose the weight too. Otherwise I resort to the diet pills and those make me even goofier then normal. ;)

 
At 8:04 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

Congratulations on the awesome weight loss! That is fantastic! Do you have a goal in mind for when you leave for SA? Dang, almost 5 pounds. V. impressive. And the more you exercise the more stamina you will build and the better you'll feel. I am starting to really feel energized myself.

Here's holding thumbs that the next eight weeks flies by quickly and healthily!

 
At 5:24 AM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Wow flights booked that's unreal!
Weight loss is weight loss - and as far as I'm concerned if it stays off then that's what counts.
So glad that everything is going so positively at the moment

 
At 1:07 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

In one of my favourite children's books they hold their thumbs. But they are not south African. Perhaps an older british thing too?

Holding all fingers and thumbs for you, my dear. And well done on the weight loss. I am v v impressed.

 
At 8:44 PM, Blogger linda said...

Have you had your serotonin levels tested? If not...you might want to...because that Pr*zac stuff can help your uterine lining to develop properly. My serotonin is 73 on a scale of 100 to 225 being normal, so I'm on Lexapro (another SSRI) for my next FET. My uterine lining is thick enough, but my reproductive immunologist thinks tht w/o the serotonin, the layers aren't developing right. Something to consider.

I also had no idea that you were diabetic. Do you take metformin while "in cycle"?

Great job on the weight loss! That is awesome! Getting your BMI down is always a good idea when cycling. I wish I was making some progress in this department. :-)

 
At 10:20 PM, Blogger DrSpouse said...

Schipol airport has GREAT shopping. And sometimes a massage zone.

 
At 10:53 PM, Blogger Mellie said...

Things sound good, P. Yeah for doing so well on the diet and your trip will be great. Wishing only good things for you for the next year.

 
At 4:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so excited for your upcoming cycle. You better have internet access down there so that you can keep us posted!! Take care.

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger Fertility Faux Pas said...

Consider my thumbs held. Wishing you a year full of water with lemon instead of gin. Take care.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Germany people hold thumbs too -- or rather, they press them. It's the thumbs/fingers confusion that got me to say my thumbs were crossed for Manuela way way back in the mists of time. She tried to make "crossed thumbs" catch on as an infertile expression, but alas, it hasn't really.

Anyway, whatever digits we are talking about, I've got them held and crossed and pressed for you, my dear. And I'm so impressed with your weight-loss endeavors! Well done!

 
At 4:11 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

That whole medication decision is hard, isn't it? It's great that you're self-aware enough to know whether you need to get on meds or not. It's a tricky balancing act, but you're doing well!
Good job on the weight loss too. Dontcha wish you were one of those people who loses weight when they're stressed? I do!

 
At 5:29 PM, Blogger Coloratura said...

Hey Pamplemousse... you stay the steady course for this cycle. I really hope this will be the *one* for you. Take good care! P.S. I loves the Pimms, too! Yummmy!

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Eggs Akimbo said...

Great news about the cycle. I have PCO and I am just a refined sugar/carbs junkie. I am just starting to do the GI thing but it is so hard for me. Well done on the weight loss.

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger beagle said...

Congrats on the 2.2kgs! Way to go!

I wish you well on this upcoming South African cycle. Good Luck!

 
At 3:19 AM, Blogger avonlea said...

You know I'm one of your biggest fans. I'm so encouraged by your spirit, your determination. You are such a magnificant woman. I swear your sonogram will be one of the few I could actually stand to look at - and I do look forward to seeing it.

Just as I felt in my heart that pregnancy wasn't going to happen for me - so do I feel that it is going to happen for you - without any futher drama - other than the joyeous kind.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

kick ass on the weightloss!

that is the same thing I do when I am trying to loose weight. No sugar, no eating after 7:30, basically a small dinner and a walk a day. It works for us with PCOS and type 2. well I think it does.

for me right now it is trying to get back on the excercise mill...

And prozac made me gain 20 pounds, so beware.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home