Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ten Sounded So Good aka War of Attrition

Ah, yesterday when I got the call about 10 eggs retrieved, all was rosy in the garden.

Today, not so much. I knew we would lose some but 4 eggs were immature. The other 6 all fertilised with ICSI so Mr P's 100% fertilisation record, on anybody else's mature eggs other than my own, remains intact.

I know I should be grateful for anything and for both the opportunity and the privilege to be here but it is only one fertilised egg more than last time. And that went so well (ironic tone of voice).

More woes today, too.

My cankles which were almost back to normal yesterday, have ballooned again today and worse than ever. Mr P was joking the other night that I had hobbit feet but not the ears. Hmmmph. Now they are like elephants feet.

I don't know if it is the wine, the PIO or the BP meds I am taking. I fear we are now talking oedema rather than common or garden cankles. I will speak to the doc on Monday at transfer. Anyone got good tips to reduce swelling??

I am sitting in Lynnette's favourite chair, watching the waves with my poor feet elevated on 3 cushions.

The good news is that our stray suitcase was not missing. It was on that bloody carousel. It was unrecognisable to me as it had acquired a hot pink luggage strap somewhere in transit. I watched it pass me a kazillion times but did not check the label due to the misleading strap. Doh!

So no more wine for me, now. I feel like crap, depressed and my arse is unbearably sore after the PIO. It was not sore at the time and I used heat after. I am not looking forward to tonight's shot.

14 Comments:

At 5:17 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

Does it sound better to say half a dozen?
At this point, there is no number that will make you feel 'safe'. Can't be done.

No advice on the swelling, I hope it goes down quickly though.

Good luck!

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My crazy Venezuelan esthetician swears by home remedies. Her home remedy for swelling of anykind, even in pregnancy is to boil the skins of a pineapple in water for a long time (I guess an hour or so) and then drink the water. It doesn't taste bad, it just tasted like watered down pineapple juice.

I tried it after my methotrexate injection and subsequent course of prednisone and was swollen up like a huge balloon. It really did help.

I am happy to hear of the 100% fert rate. That is good news.

 
At 6:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humph, well that didn't go as planned! I'm hoping for you, that six is all you'll need.

That pineapple skins recipe sounds interesting! if you try ti, let us know if it works. Either way, I hope you're feeling better soon. Hang in there, babe.

 
At 7:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to get all babydusty but it does only take one. I'm hoping they are going to hang in there.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger DD said...

I have no advice about the swelling. I have no ability to make you feel better about your Sweet Six (although I agree 100% with Lut C). I just want you to know that there's some one in the Midwest thinking about you.

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you!
Something that has worked on my swollen ankles before is something called Same-E. It's one of those joint pills that it sold near the vitamins.
Hope the elevating helps.
xo

 
At 8:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were staying in "my" place this time! That has to be lucky. And since you only need two ;-) I'm going to just.not.worry. Say hi to everyone for me, and if you get a chance (I know you're "busy") could you ask Cathy if I freaked her out with my last email. I never heard back from her, and maybe my suggestion about my donor was too outlandish?? Tell her I haven't emailed Dr. L to "beg" yet. Are you able to enjoy the pool, too? That might help the swelling? Say thank you to "my" sea kelp and hi To Tertia for me. Thinking nothing but yummy positive thoughts for you two.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger millie said...

So sorry to hear about the cankles. I had a really hard time with that flight and my estrogen levels. Talk to Dr L, he can totally help. I'd also advise elevating those legs and perhaps soaking in salt water.

Not to harp on this point, but this is a DIFFERENT DONOR. Totally different and totally awesome. Six is great. Six is what they shoot for down there. You only need 2 to transfer and a few to freeze so it well be GREAT.

When do you head to MY favorite place????

Thinking of you and wishing you were online right now so we could chat.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Jess said...

Sorry about your cankles!!

But 6 isn't a bad number. Hope, still, for sure!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Country Chick said...

If I could think of something witty / useful / reassuring to say, I would, but in the meantime you will have to make do with great big huge wishes that this post is one you will look back on and laugh at yourself for being fed up and pessimistic . . . lots of good luck emanating from the UK too . . .

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm in the same boat with the 10 Dr Heylon said I had before ER, to the 7 after ER. In the end, I had 2 perfect top grade embies that we transferred on Thursday. None to freeze as the other 2 viable ones had fragmentation. I have hardly moved since. Good luck on Monday.

Cindy

 
At 2:23 AM, Blogger beagle said...

I vote for trying the pineapple thing . . . though do you have the means to do so?

Here is what I do after air travel (don't laugh) . . . I lie on the bed, with my behind as close to the headboard/wall as possible and put my legs straight up against the wall. Much more elevated than three pillows and gives my back a good stretch in the bargain. (You can do this on the floor, but my germ freak self can't manage to lie on the carpet.)

Hell, it's worth a try, even if it looks like some kind of hobbit yoga.

I wish you and your six lovely potentials loads of luck!

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger tonya said...

Wishing you a healthy half dozen and a couple that are eager to dive right in when the time comes!

I don't have any tips on the swelling, so I hope the pineapple idea and elevation helps.

 
At 6:59 AM, Blogger Sam said...

I'm so sorry about the cankles, I've had them once or twice myself. Good luck with the 1/2 dozen and hoping everything goes well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home