Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Yo, peeps!





Apparently, I last published a blog post in April, ahem.......


So what has been happening?? Well,I am half-way sorta to having a driving licence as I have passed my theory test this week. Sounds easy, doesn't it? Hmmmph. 50 multiple choice Highway Code questions and 14 hazard perception clips. Mind you, I hate to brag but I got 50 out of 50 on the multiple choice questions and a very good score on the hazards, despite my advanced driving age.


In the theory test centre, it was a sea of teenagers and me. There was lots of muttered talk of second and third tries (at a cost of £30/$60 a shot). Bloody teenagers. I came out clutching my pass letter and wanted to say "Ha! Make way for the mature learner driver who passed first time" but manners held me back. Damn those pesky manners.


Due to work commitment, I can only fit in one official driving lesson per week but I am also driving Mr P and Miss P round the bend in the car at the weekends. Mr P has just about stopped clutching his knees. He really did not have much hair to start off with hehehe.


What else?? Miss Poppy is 9 months now so is starting to be a tiny little bit more mature. She will be an adult by the time she is 1 year old so she does not have long as a puppy left. She has passed her bronze level of the Kennel Club Citizen Good award and will be starting doggie agility class in a few months. Do you think I am one of those over-achieving, over-scheduling, hothousing mothers hahaha?


She has just about forgiven us for abandoning her for 2 weeks when we went to the Greek islands to stay with my mother and stepfather. I am glad I have seen the Mediterranean sun as it is sorely lacking here in Northern Europe. We are having our usual summer weather so can choose between drizzle, showers and actual rain. My Greek tan (ha, as far as a peely-wally Scottish woman with a Celtic complexion can tan) has gone. Do you know that Tertia said to me that I was the most luminously white person she had ever seen??? That tells you how pale I am. Mind you, I almost got a tan just from sitting in Tertia's glow ;)


We visited Kefalonia and Zakynthos and had a fabulous time. We also celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary when we were there. Miss P took a right sulk though as she could not go.
What else? Don't know about you lot but the credit crunch is biting here. Prices of food and petrol....astronomical. I want to go places on holiday but the sensible budget-head says no. Do you know I only have 17 years left to work until retirement???* Scary thought and my mind is now preoccupied with pensions and all that jazz. Too grown up for me.


Anyhoo, for once, it is not raining outside so the outdoors and the midgies beckon. I am going to try really hard to blog more often, honest.


* Scary thought but I have already been working for 23 years. I have now worked more years than I have left!!!! Also, those 23 years?? Still with the same employer. How bizarre is that nowadays? I have only ever had that employer since I finished uni. Good employer, great terms and conditions, fab pension at age 60 and I do enjoy my job. I know I am lucky. Mind you, another corporate reorganisation is on the cards in HR so I might not be singing the same tune next year.

11 Comments:

At 3:29 PM, Blogger Linda said...

You're alive!! I'm glad to hear from you!

Those pictures look lovely; I'm glad you were able to have some time away. I was in Germany recently, experiencing some of the lovely UK weather. Ick. Greek weather is definitely better, I must say.

Congrats on your driving test! You're almost there!

xo
Flicka

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger zhl said...

It's so good to hear from you and hear you so happy! And no, I don't think you are one of those "over-achieving, over-scheduling, hothousing mothers." Our dog just passed her AKC Canine good citizen (sounds the same as yours), and she's been in agility for a year now. so maybe we are both just one of those dog owners! Oh well, whatever brings you joy.

good luck on your driving test!

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Thalia said...

I'm sure Miss P has a blast doing those classes, so definitely not hot housing. Can we have some more pics of her, please?

The holiday looks lovely. The weather is dismal, isn't it? Sad but true. Although I prefer this to sweltering heat, so I'm perhaps not the best person to empathise.

 
At 4:07 AM, Blogger Jess said...

I was so happy to see you pop up on my google reader!! YAY for a post!! YAYYAYYAY!

I'm glad to hear you got away on a vacation! Those pictures are STUNNING with a capital S!! Wow. That water. Amazing.

I could handle a pic or two of that sweet pup of yours, though, too. :)

 
At 8:12 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Ooh, the Mediterranean. So that's where those gorgeous pictures are from.

Glad to hear about all your adventures and congrats on passing the theory test!

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Kami said...

nice to hear from you. Lovely pics. It makes me want to go there. It sounds like you have had some good times. I am happy for you.

 
At 1:03 PM, Blogger beagle said...

Gorgeous photos!
Congrats to both you and Poppy for those your recent accomplishments!

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back darling!

Alchemilla
x

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your holidays, nice pictures.

Congrats on passing your theoretical driving test! Hope you pass the on-road exam in one go too!

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger tonya said...

So glad you're back to check in! Your holiday sounds simply divine (as was the G&D one herself I imagine). And Go You on the driving thang... sounds like you're going to ace it, and who need knee hair anyway?

Would love to see more pix of your lovely Miss Poppy.

 
At 10:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back - good to hear from you.
Vivien

 

Post a Comment

<< Home