Pamplemousse

PCOS - check. Infertility - check. IVF - check. 43 years young - check. Sick of babydust - fricking double check. Join a Scottish infertile as she slowly swirls down the plughole. Now with added donor egg flava.

Monday, October 09, 2006

Back In Black

Pack away those colourful holiday clothes...I am back and it is grey and cloudy and raining. Erk.

I know, I know...I did not update whilst I was away. We did not have the laptop with us and internet speed in Cape Town's lovely internet cafes was, well, let me say that the hamsters must have been dozing in the wheel. It was madly frustrating but at the same time, I did not want to stay indoors any more than I had to when the glorious sunshine was beating down outside.

I could post for hours about the luminous light and the endless sky and the blue of the two oceans but I know that all you want to know right now is the goodies.

Our donor had 5 eggs retrieved and we had 100% fertilisation.

All 5 were 8 cells on day 3.

Transfer Sept 30th, 3 embryos on day 3, average quality (which is why the good doc transferred 3).

Lining was 12mm and transfer itself went like a dream (unlike the last time!). The doc said my uterus is slightly tilted forward which is the first time that anyone has noticed or said anything to me about! He said that it might be the reason why I had a difficult transfer before. If I already did not have the love of Mr P, I would have asked him to step in and do the deed as he was so lovely. I know, totally eeeew, hahahaha.

Today is 9dp3dt. My SA buddy kindly sent me too many HPTs to pee on so of course, I started today and all I got for my troubles was an evap. line. Hmmmph.

Anyhoo, moving on. I survived the flights there and back. Thank you to whoever recommended Tylenol PM. We do not have it here in the UK but they had it in Cape Town. On the way there, it was all-day travel and I just plugged in the noise-cancelling headphones and watched films the whole way there back-to-back. Well, apart from the pee and water break and canter round the Boeing 777 after every film. Thank goodness for KLM's interactive entertainment on-demand service. Totally saved my panicking arse.

Coming back on a night-flight was a different story but I got about 4 hours sleep which is a total first for me. The main problem coming back was that I could hardly walk coming off the flight as my legs were swollen to the knees. I had my flight socks on, kept drinking water whilst awake and going for a wee jog between films but still, I had the worst cankles I have ever seen. I am not even sure if they are still cankles if the knees are involved.

I have a thousand tales to tell you about our adventures but I will save you from them until another day. We filled our whole memory card on the digital camera which is no mean feat as it holds just under 400 pics in one sitting.

I will leave you with just one pic for today. It is the view from our room on our first morning in the Mother City. We had arrived in total darkness the previous evening. I opened the curtains and bam! there was the view.


33 Comments:

At 6:44 PM, Blogger linda said...

Thank goodness you've finally come home and posted! I have been stalking your blog daily eagerly awaiting some sort of update.

Congratulations on the great fertilization rate! That is awesome!! So did you put the other two on ice? I do hope that you'll post more about your experience of going to SA as there are so many of us that are intrigued with this idea, but are afraid to venture out of our respective countries.

 
At 7:24 PM, Blogger zhl said...

So beautiful. So glad to hear from you. So hoping that you get a positive.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger DD said...

Did Millie tell you I was missing you terribly?

I'm so glad you are home, and the next two days you should be busy writing posts, not POAS.

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger Lut C. said...

You're back! I'm glad everything went well with retrieval and transfer. Please, let the trend continue, ...

That's one awesome view from the hotel!

 
At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home! Wow, that's an amazing view....
So glad everything went well, I'm hoping that there is very good news coming your way in a very short time. x

 
At 8:35 PM, Blogger art-sweet said...

9dpt is Too. Early.

Plus, your toilet missed you. Don't deprive it of your pee.

Glad you're back.

 
At 8:49 PM, Blogger Summer said...

Finally, you're back! Been anxiously awaiting your post. The cycle sounds lovely so far. Here's hoping it gets lovelier and lovelier.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a view indeed! I'm so glad you are home safely. Sounds like a great cycle so far, 9dp, still early. I won't tell you to leave the evil sticks alone, as I am a total addict myself.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great view! I hope at least one of those little guys is settling in for a 9 month haul. Good luck!

 
At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WE'VE MISSED YOU!

Glad everything went so well in SA. Congrats! I'll be keeping an eye on you.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger moo said...

so glad you are back!!!!! We missed you. That picture makes me homesick for Cape Town. can't wait to hear more and 3 littles - congrats and thumbs are crossed.

xxMoo

 
At 11:33 PM, Blogger Pam said...

Congratulations on the fert rate and easy transfer. Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Good luck!

 
At 1:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're back! And it's gorgeous! And 100% fert! And 8 cells and 3 and lots of pics and lots of stories, and 9 days past and evaporations line (yeah, that's what I thought too - ha ha). Yay for you babes, so glad you're home.

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger zarqa said...

That sounds great! I, like others, await hearing more about the SA experience. :)

 
At 1:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and ac/dc? I never knew!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Kris said...

Great cycle. Good luck the remainder of the week.

Glad to have you back!

 
At 2:25 AM, Blogger Donna said...

This all sounds like the beginning of a really good story, one with a big fat happy ending. Yes, I dared to say it out loud.

 
At 2:46 AM, Blogger Katie said...

I missed you girl. You know how much I've been thinking of you. Your stat counter might prove it, with multiple clicks a day from me to see how/where you were.

 
At 7:59 AM, Blogger Sparkle said...

Awesome that you're back and in one piece.

Fantastic fertility rate. Everything crossed for a great result.

Can't wait to hear about the trip.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger Mermaidgrrrl said...

I'm so glad you had such fabulous emby success sweetie. Fingers crossed for you big time! Are you going to crap your pants if it's triplets?

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Thalia said...

Wow, just wow. That is one of the most beautiful views i have EVER seen. It sounds as if you had a good trip, and are you SURE that that is an evap line?

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Amyesq said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! And are you sure it was just an evap line? Hmm.. waiting until tomorrow...

Can't wait to hear more about your trip and SO glad that things went well on the fertilization and transfer end.

Everything is crossed for you!

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Country Chick said...

What IS an evap line? Sometimes I think I just don't understand English any more when I read these things - 9dp3dt? Que??? (9 days post 3 day transfer??)
Anyway, if by evap line you mean there was a faint faint line where there should be a second one, I would say that is a positive line. A little pregnant. Deffo.

 
At 6:20 PM, Blogger soralis said...

Beautiful photo!

Good luck

 
At 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I hope to hear happy new from you, soon!

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I'm glad to hear your trip went well (gorgeous view!) and I'm wishing you all the best for this cycle. Everything is crossed... please let this work! Will check back frequently! Good luck!

 
At 11:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're back, and I'm keeping everything crossed for good news.

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger Lisa said...

Like everyone else I'm glad you're back and I'm glad everything went well and I'm crossing everything I've got for continuing good news!

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you are back. I'm not sure what you mean by an evap line. If you mean very faint, that's a +.

Bonnie.

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger Krista said...

I so sincerely hope this works for you.

Also, I echo the others in saying I can't wait to hear more about your trip to SA.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Calliope said...

glad you are back!
that photo is stunning.

 
At 7:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, P.... I am so so glad that things went so smoothly, and I am SOO hoping beyond hope that this works for you.

Much love, my dear.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger avonlea said...

All of those lovely threes - 3 has always been my lucky number - if it's not your's I'll lend it to you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home